Rarely cultivated and little known outside circles of fungi fans and foragers, Dryad’s Saddle is the most magical and enchanting mushroom that we grow. Named because magical woodland fairies or tree nymphs (dryads) could conceivably ride on it like a saddle, its alternate name – Pheasant’s Back – also reflects its beautiful appearance. Immortalised in the poetry of Milton, Coleridge, Thackeray and Keats, we farm Organic Dryad’s Saddle for its legendary, fairytale like appearance; mild, nutty, cucumbersque flavour, and versatility. Often included in our Organic Gourmet Medley or Organic Gourmet Medley Subscription, chefs and food enthusiasts our Organic Dryad’s Saddles in teas, tinctures and any of the hundred dishes in our app. Its meaty flavour also well to being dried and used as nature’s most delicious flavour enhancer.
Though Dryad’s Saddle grows wild in the woodland of our estate in the Scottish wilderness, the Deer Manor variety is farmed with organic patience and care. Celebrated for its deeply nourishing properties like all of the mushrooms grown at Deer Manor, Organic Dryad’s Saddle may:
- Boost immunity (see: Fernandes et al., 2016)
- Support fatty acid synthesis (see: Mocan et al., 2017).
- Reduce inflammation and oxidative stress (see: Fernandes et al., 2016)
- Protect against cancer (see: Bulam, Üstün & Pekşen, 2018)
- Support liver and kidney health (see: Manna et al., 2017)
- Have antibacterial properties (see: Manna et al., 2017)