Celebrate and be inspired by Rockcliffe Beach in South West Scotland with our Lion’s Mane Mushroom Crab Cakes.
In celebration of glorious Scottish beaches and the crustacean sealife that teems upon them, try our delectable Lion’s Mane Mushroom Crab Cakes. With rave reviews, research-proven medicinal compounds, an enigmatic look and a delectable seafoody flavour profile; taste the magnificent Scottish sea with this all-vegan crabcake recipe. And, if real crab is your preference; boost the flavour, enhance the nutritional benefits and reduce the cholesterol by going halfsies with a crab-mushroom blend.
Lion’s Mane Crabcake Ingredients
- Approx 250g Fresh Lion’s Mane Mushrooms (or 125g Lion’s Mane, 125g cooked Crab if going halfsies)
- 2 tablespoons mayo or vegan replacement
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg or flaxseed vegan replacement (1 tbsp flaxseed to 3 tbsp water)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1Approx 15g diced sweet red onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning (a combination of salt, celery seed, sweet paprika, smoked paprika, black pepper, white pepper, nutmeg, mace, cardamom, ginger, allspice, cloves, cinnamon ground mustard, red pepper flakes, and bay leaves)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil for pan frying
- Lemon wedges and tartar sauce for serving
Lion’s Mane Crabcake Method
- Shred the Lion’s Mane mushroom to resemble shredded crab meat. Transfer to a large frying pan with 2 tablespoons of water.
- Cook the Lion’s Mane over medium heat, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes until all the water from the mushrooms has released. Set aside, drain and allow the mushrooms to cool.
- In a large bowl, add mayo, Dijon mustard, egg (or replacement), Worcestershire sauce, onions, parsley, Old Bay blend, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined. Set aside.
- Once the Lion’s Mane has cooled, squeeze out any excess moisture from the mushrooms to avoid soggy crab cakes.
- Fold the mushrooms (or crab-mushroom combo) into the mixture until well combined. Stir in fresh breadcrumbs then form the mixture into 4 patties that are 1/2-inch thick. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat coconut oil at medium heat. Pan fry the patties for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!
Want to hear an extended version of this recipe, its context and more about glorious Scotland? Listen and Subscribe to our podcast.