Be whisked to the historic, shimmering shores of Galloway Forest Park’s Loch Trool and make a creamy, gluten free and vegan freckled chestnut mushroom soup in its honour.
Journey to the historic, shimmering shores of Loch Trool in Dumfries and Galloway with Deer Manor Gourmet Mushrooms. In this episode of a Serving of Scotland, we delight in an awe-inspiring landscape that has changed the course of Scottish history. Wonderfully, it’s always soup season at Deer Manor and, in celebration of Glentrool and Loch Trool, we create a creamy, rich, joyful soup with our famous freckled chestnut mushrooms.
Freckled Chestnut Mushroom Soup Ingredients
- 750g Deer Manor freckled chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 500g parsnips, peeled and cut into 2m pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 30g leeks, whites only, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 950ml vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Sprigs of thyme
- Black pepper
Freckled Chestnut Mushroom Soup Method
- Preheat the oven to 220°.
- Place the parsnips on a baking sheet and mix with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove the parsnips from the oven and add the mushrooms (keeping a handful aside). Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the to and mix. Roast for 15 minutes.
- In a cast iron cooking pot heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium low heat, then add the leeks. Stir and cook until soft, about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add the smashed garlic clove and stir.
- add the mushroom mixture, thyme and the stock. Keep Stirring.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a very low simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Using a food processor, in batches puree the mixture until smooth.
- Return to the cast iron pot. Season with salt and pepper then gently reheat over very low heat.
- In a small saucepan heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium low heat. Add the chestnut mushrooms that were kept aside and cook until lightly golden. This will take about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve place some of the soup in a soup bowl, garnish with remaining chestnut mushrooms and a sprig of thyme.